Friday, May 14, 2004

Emergence

No, I'm not talking about that other Emergent thing, I'm talking about Magicicada sp. - Cicadas! Yesterday after work we checked our trees and sure enough, they've come. The first mass made their way out of the ground the previous night, worked their way out of their shells, and unfurled their wings.



There are shells on tree bark, shells on large leaves, shells on twigs, shells on shrubs, and even shells on flower stems. And I know that this is just the beginning. Last night between Survivor and CSI, we took a flashlight outside to look for the immature cicadas digging their way out of the ground. Sure enough, they were crawling along the ground and making their way up the trees! I admit that I freaked out, out there in the dark feeling surrounded by creeping, crawling, crunchy things, but with Andy's help, I was able to turn around and run back into the house and involuntarily shake off the icky feeling like a dog drying off after a swim.

No comments: