Sunday, June 26, 2005

Worship in the Spirit of Justice

After church today, Kevin and I went to Freedom Plaza in Washington, DC, to participate in this week's Worship in the Spirit of Justice aimed at increasing awareness, hope and help for the people of the Darfur region of Sudan. This effort is mainly spearheaded by our church (or at least some leaders and members of our church), Cedar Ridge Community Church, and Sojourners.



It was Kevin's first time in Washington and his first time on the Metro. He had a great time. The train was lots of fun, especially when the doorbell sounded as a warning that the doors were closing and Kevin would copy it quite loudly, "Ding dong!"



I couldn't really see the service as a service so much as an adventure with Kevin and trying to keep him safe and occupied but I did come away with something. While sitting with the group and listening to the speakers and reading the signs, I put myself in the shoes of the people walking by and checking us out. Had I not been part of the goings-on, I would've thought, "What a bunch of crazies - they're out here just to make it look like they're so committed to their idealistic cause. They should go do something productive instead."



Being a part of it and feeling like we were making at least a bit of a difference (not necessarily my participation but the participation of those who are actually doing more for the cause) made me realize that other peoples' causes and idealistic dreams should seem as important to me as my own. Yes, that should be obvious and yes, I can easily say, "Of course it should be that way!" But in my heart (and in my judgmental mind) that's not what happens.



It almost always takes me seeing somebody else's situation through their eyes (or my situation through somebody else's eyes) to feel that other peoples' thoughts and feelings are valid. This goes for small, everyday things as well. That's a pretty sad way to live, isn't it?

No comments: