Monday, October 18, 2004

Immunizations, Playdates and Tantrums - Oh My!

We're home. All three of us. HOME.

We actually had a very nice trip. We couldn't have paid for better accomodations than those provided by our friends, Elesa and Jeff, for nothing. Their kids were wonderful, too. We had the chance to spend time alone when we needed it and together with the others when we were ready. We were very comfortable there and they took such great care of us. We even had to take Kevin to the pediatrician while we were there and they set that all up for us! And Elesa is a great driver and tour guide, among everything else that she's great at :-)

We arrived in Guatemala City on Saturday around 1:15 pm and Elesa picked us up at the airport and took us back to her house. We got the grand tour and put our belongings in our beautifully set up and hosted room. There were toys for Kevin, chocolates for us, and even our own bathroom! About 2 hours later (which felt like forever while we were just waiting) 2 assistants to our attorney brought Kevin to us. He was shy and a little scared; very quiet. The assistants helped us fill out some paperwork that we'd need at the Embassy and then they left. That was it! And we never got to meet the foster mom.

Matchbox cars, stuffed animals, books, and crayons didn't break the ice, but a few glasses of water (Kevin sweats a lot!) and some soccer helped our relationship begin. Thinking back to that day is amazing because it was only 2 weeks ago, yet it feels like an eternity. It feels like we were all different people then than we are now. I suppose we are, but it's hard to believe that much would've changed in such a short amount of time!

On Sunday, we went to Antigua which is about 45 minutes by car to the west of Guatemala City. We bought a few items at the markets and mostly just walked around. Kevin seemed fine with us although he wouldn't let us put him down to sit or walk by himself. It made for a very tiring few days!! And it made our broken stroller that we picked up in baggage claim in GC a moot point.

When we arrived home on Wednesday night, our friend, Kirsten, who picked us up at the airport told us that we couldn't stay at our house because the fumes from our floors being refinished were too strong. The flooring guys suggested that we not stay there, so we went to Kirsten's house instead. We returned to our house on Thursday in the middle of the day to what Kevin saw as a large gymnasium just for him and all of his toys! (we had no furniture in the living room or dining room so it was a big open play area and he could kick and throw and chase balls with no obstacles.)

Fast-forward to today.... I'm still at home from work while Andy returned to his job last Tuesday. Kevin has transitioned into our family better than anyone would have anticipated. Now instead of dealing with his insecurities and trust issues, we're already dealing with toddler tantrums and purposeful misbehavior!

I know that I've left out a lot of details, but I don't want to take too much time writing this and I don't want to wait any longer to at least say, "Hi! We're home and doing well!" So, here it is - it's all that you get for now. That is, if any of you are still out there and waiting to hear from me :-)

No comments: