Sunday, April 29, 2007

Freedom Writers

After a long day of gardening and such (we planted radish, beet, carrot, lettuce, spinach and squash seeds) we watched a movie, Freedom Writers. It's based on a true story of teacher Erin Gruwell and her high school English classes which have turned into The Freedom Writers Foundation. Amazing stuff.

What I learned about myself through this movie is that while I know that poverty around the world is my problem because I'm human and a child of God and I am moved to live such that I intentionally make a smaller footprint on this planet, my heart is tugged most strongly by issues of the inner city.

That makes no sense because I have no ties to the inner city and my life and experiences are pretty far on the opposite end of the spectrum closest to the Anglo-Rural arrow. But that's how it is.

I'm not sure where to go with this newfound realization, but right now I choose to sleep on it.

No comments: