Saturday, November 22, 2008

Life lives on

 

My grandmother - the one who is 104 years old - had a stroke in her upper-90's and moved out of her apartment into an assisted living suite in her community. That meant her furniture and other belongings needed to be distributed amongst the family and one of the things I got was her "Christmas cactus" plant. I am usually pretty good at taking care of plants but this one didn't like living in our house no matter what I tried to do to it (or stop doing to it.) It lost leaf after leaf and eventually branch after branch. I read that I could root cuttings so before it completely died on me, I took a few cuttings and put them in water. It worked! I planted the babies in a set of small pots in a matching tray and let them go, hoping that at least one would survive.

That was at least 5 years ago and lookie what we have here. My first ever blooms! Yeehah!


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

I take photos. said...

I see you have already taken 400+ photos with your new camera...400x52 = you'll need a new hard drive soon :)

TeamDandy said...

We passed #700 tonight (playing around with the remote, we probably added about 100 pictures in the past hour.)