Sunday, October 01, 2006

Uncharted territories

This afternoon, Kevin watched TV while Andy and I took a nap. We're great parents, aren't we? After the video was over, Kevin asked me to read some books to him. When I leaned over to sit next to him on the couch, I noticed his brand new pants were ripped. Some thoughts ran through my head:

1. I wonder what happened?
2. This is the first time he's worn those pants!
3. Maybe he got pinched and is hurt?

I asked him how it happened and if his leg was ok. He looked up at me strangely - I couldn't read the look on his face. He didn't say he was hurt but he didn't really answer my question. Then I noticed that his shirt was ripped, also. His pants had a small, neat "V" cut in the thigh area and his shirt had a 4-inch long jagged tear.

I couldn't help but crack up laughing when I realized that he'd done this to himself with his scissors. He was pretty upset at my laughter but I couldn't hold it in. He was really afraid of getting into trouble so I told him that he wouldn't this time but that we had to go show Papa. He was vehemently opposed to that because he didn't want to get into trouble. This is also new territory for him - wanting to hide what he's done so we don't get mad at him.

We guess that the cut in his pants was an accident and then he thought, "Hmm... I wonder what happens if I try to cut my shirt?" This part was definitely not an accident.

No comments: