Sunday, May 22, 2005

Miscellany

I'm so glad that Kevin's grandparents live within an hour of us. Andy's mom and sister watched Kevin so that I could work when our daycare provider was out of the country for two weeks. Yesterday my parents came over to play with Kevin while we went for a hike and did a few things on our own. I know lots of families who don't have local extended family and I think that would be really difficult.




Kevin got his first fat lip with us today (no, we didn't cause it.) He fell and hit his mouth on a chair. He said that the grape popsicle helped it feel much better.




Luke 19:17 "'Well done, my good servant!' his master replied. 'Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.'"


It doesn't matter at the moment that when I tell Kevin he can't have another sip of soda he takes one anyway. But it does matter in the long run. If I can't trust him to obey and respect my commands with the small things, how can I trust him with big things later? I won't yet call it a phase that Kevin is entering (although I think it is) but he is beginning to consistently disobey me. I can see how it is a normal and good thing for him to test the boundaries (he must feel secure in our relationship that he doesn't have to obey us to make us love him and it's a normal toddler thing to push outward) but in the heat of screaming and crying it is a pain in the neck. At what age can I expect to be able to really explain this to him? When he's 35, you say? I'm not sure I can wait that long.




It's been too long. I'm listening to The Best of Reggae Dancehall Music Volume 2. I know that part of my love for this music is the memories it brings to mind from my college years. It's more than that, though. Do you have a style of music that seems to resonate with your soul? Something that when you hear it, your heart joins the rhythm and beats to it? Reggae is that music for me.

No comments: