Sunday, April 16, 2006

The palate of a child? Ok, I give

While I can tolerate a more varied selection of food these days, I'm still fairly picky. However, it was only a few years ago that I was still really, really picky. Someone likened my taste to that of a 5-yr old. I basically agreed what with my severe dislike of vegetables or having my foods touch each other. And I really like ketchup.



This year for Lent I did not eat any meat. As previously mentioned, I had to take more iron supplements while not eating meat so I didn't find myself craving a bacon cheeseburger as I sometimes do. I have never craved steak like lots of other folks do, but I do occasionally crave a burger. Anyway, this no-meat-eating stint was really not difficult at all except for the convenience factor. It's easier to make sure I get complete proteins on a tight schedule by eating meat and it's easier to only plan one dinner instead of 2 (one that is nutritionally complete for me without meat and one for Andy with meat.) Other than that, I didn't really have any cravings, except when I was really hungry and I smelled something yummy.



I was surprised at my cravings when I was really hungry... not that meat smelled good, because that's not surprising at all. But I was surprised by the 2 things that consistently over the 6 weeks provided my biggest temptations.



Hot dogs & fish sticks.



Never did a burger smell all that enticing, never did chicken smell all that enticing, never did hamburger helper smell all that enticing (good, yes, but they weren't difficult not to eat.) The hot dogs and fish sticks were about to send me over the edge most every time I smelled them.



So I guess, without a doubt, I have the palate of a 5-yr old.

No comments: