Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Feel the Burn

I play in a Coed-BB volleyball league on Sundays at The Volleyball House in Elkridge, MD. This is our first season there - we were previously in a C-level league through the City of Laurel. It turns out that in the VB House leagues, when teams don't have enough players, they recruit players from wherever they can get them. In our match, we were asked if any of us wanted to stay to play the next game with another team. My boss and I checked in with our spouses and were given the green light (thanks, Andy!!) and, as luck would have it, the team we were playing with had a double-header. Yikes! Three matches in a row! Halfway through the first match with the other team, I asked during a timeout, "What... league... is... this?!" while gasping to catch my breath at 1) all of the running around I was doing as well as 2) the amazing feats of blocking and spiking I'd witnessed so far. We were playing on a team in the BBB league. I know, it's only one level up on paper, but it was quite a bit better than we play. It was soooo much FUN! I played much better than I usually do. Part of that was not feeling personally responsible for the team losing because of my mistakes (yes, it would be my fault for making mistakes, but it was their fault for recruiting me from a BB team) and the other part was due to the higher level of play by the other members of the team. We each played to our strengths and didn't have to play to our weaknesses and it worked! It was a great confidence builder for me and did I say yet how much FUN it was?



I'm still sore and taking ibuprofen but it was worth it.

No comments: