Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Let there be light - the summer solstice

Today is the Summer Solstice, the day with the longest period of sunlight in the northern hemisphere. Here's a fun quiz related to the solstice. When looking for more information at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's website, I found interesting facts about the red tide (more correctly known as Harmful Algal Bloom, or HAB) currently in New England. I had no idea it was happening now and so that was interesting to find out as well as further information on such events. [There is a reason why my favorite word is serendipitous.] Check out the home page of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution's section on HABs, particularly the image at the top with the label "Test your taxonomic skills." What fun!



Update: I forgot to mention my coolest bit about the solstice. Four years ago, Andy and I were on our honeymoon in Alaska for the summer solstice. We basked in 19 hours of daylight (would have been more if we'd been farther north but we were in Anchorage, Prince William Sound and Denali National Park.) It was really cool.

No comments: