Saturday, June 25, 2005

I was passed by a.... jogger

Getting passed by a jogger isn't a big deal if you're walking or even if you're jogging. But this morning, I was passed by a jogger while riding my bike.



Fortunately, I could use the excuse that I was taking a rest on a long slow-down to a stop sign. As we crossed the intersection, I called out, "Well, I sure hope I can speed up enough to pass you back!" He laughed and as I did pass him, I said, "You're the first runner to ever pass me... thanks!"



Once in a mountain bike duathlon (2.5 mile cross-country run, 10 mile mountain bike, 2.5 mile cross-country run) I was on the last run and the race director's pick up truck came up behind me. He was sitting on the tailgate and hopping out every so often to pick up the course cones. He joked around with me for a few minutes and then said, "You remember the route from the first run, right?" "Yup" I answered. "Well, then, I'm going to finish picking these up. See you at the finish." The awards had been handed out and by the time I was done, half the racers had already gone home. I was ok with that and able to laugh at myself because you know what? I FINISHED.



So to all those joggers who have yet to pass me and all of those cyclists who have yet to get annoyed on the singletrack when I can't find a place to move over and let you pass and to all those race directors who have yet to pull up cones in front of me or push me up a hill on my bike (yes, the same director did that to me once, too, and it was pretty funny) - have fun with it and remember that although I'm not one of you, I actually kinda am.

No comments: