Sunday, July 11, 2004

More Tour de France

This afternoon I watched a FULL HOUR (note sarcasm) of Tour de France coverage on CBS. As I've previously mentioned, I don't have cable or a dish or anything other than rabbit ears on my television, so I don't get to view the whopping amount of coverage (note lack of sarcasm) by Outdoor Life Network every day of the Tour. They have live coverage during the race and then a prime time wrap-up - every day. Needless to say, the 60 minutes (how much is it really after commercials?) of coverage that I witnessed this afternoon was lame - the amount was lame and the wasted 3 minutes spent interviewing Sheryl Crow was lame. Come on, people - do you interview anyone else's girlfriends or wives? I don't need to hear from Ms. Crow that Lance is a focused athlete.



Ranting aside, the Tour is still going well from this follower's perspective. However, I find the number of crashes this year to be unnerving. Hopefully the pack will be spread out once they hit the mountains and the bike-to-bike combat will subside. Tomorrow (Monday) is a rest day from the race, but that only means that instead of their ride times counting toward their final standings, they get to ride "just for fun" to keep their pistons firing. They surely won't be sitting around watching TV and eating ice cream on their day off.

No comments: