Monday, July 19, 2004

Sweet sleep

I'm tired. One would think that my nap on Saturday afternoon would've helped combat the tiredness I acquired to that point. However, I got a few phone calls during that hour I was hoping to rest peacefully while our niece and nephew were with their grandparents. So why didn't I catch up on sleep Saturday night? Because I was welcomed into the world of The Waltons with a DVD viewing of the episode titled "The Reunion." I'd never seen The Waltons before and I didn't realize that it was an hour-long show. By the time we got downstairs, I was already pooped. I didn't want to ruin the excitement of everyone else at the chance to witness my first Waltons episode, so I propped my eyelids open and made it through to the end of the show.



Sunday morning came quickly and the day was filled with people. These are people that I not only love because they're family, but that I also like and would even if they weren't family. But still, they are people. And a lot of people implies that at the end of the day, I will be tired. Exhausted. Empty. And tired I was. And am. And will be until, hopefully, tomorrow evening, when I get the chance to lay down in bed at 10:00 pm without the noise and commotion of children who aren't ready to go to sleep but want to jump around on our bed instead.



I will miss Maria, Andrew, and Laura Beth, who have been with us for the past 2 weeks. I will miss Laura Beth's hugs and Andrew's stories of what he saw and thought was funny during the day. I will miss the full refrigerator which will empty quickly after they leave and likely won't be replenished with great fervor.



Last year when the Coxes visited for just a week, I was also glad to return to a less frenetic and quieter life, but I really missed them when they were gone. They left early in the morning before I was out of bed and when I got up, I was sad that there was nobody who needed me to make breakfast for them. It was after that visit that I realized I was ready (if that's truly ever possible, but you know what I mean) to have children of our own. That was the beginning of the end of our quiet, peaceful life. We still have a couple of months left of peace and quiet, but we're sure to embrace it and appreciate it while we have it. And what better way to celebrate than sleeping.


No comments: