Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Of Houseguests and Routines

I’m a creature of habit and routine. Perhaps someone would call my life a road full of ruts, but I like to call them routines and I don’t think that they are bad. I’m productive and efficient in my routines and far less prone to stress. In fact, being bumped out of my routine is a large stressor in itself.



I’m not saying that I shouldn’t be flexible and I have learned to be much more flexible in recent years than I used to be. The impetus for that was watching other inflexible people and realizing that I didn’t want to travel down that road of constant stress given how much our lives are destined to be bumped around outside of our routines.



Andy’s sister and her two kids (Norm, her husband, is stationed in Iraq this year) are staying with us for two weeks and they arrived yesterday. It is great to see them and to have them with us. They’re all wonderful and fun to be around.



My daily routine can be outlined this way: Out of bed around 5:45 am, shower/dress/pack lunch and head out the door between 6:30-6:45 am. Get home from work around 4:30-5:00 pm and then head to bed at 10:00 pm. I would probably be best-served with a sleep schedule of 11:00-7:00 am, but that would leave me with a much worse commute in traffic. So, I work pretty well within my daily routine.



Maria and the kids don’t share my time schedule. They are late to bed, late to rise folk. They are plenty productive with their time, they just shift their routine from mine. And they may not be quite as engrained in their routine as I am, but I’m not sure of that.



Either way, I’m going to have to get used to riding on the gravelly shoulder of the road for awhile rather than in my smooth routine. I suppose it’ll get better - today is the first full day of their visit and I picked up a piece or two of glass in my tires, but I know how to change a flat, so I’ll be back on the road (or shoulder) soon. Until then, ZZzzzzz.................

No comments: