Saturday, March 26, 2005

(Un)Welcome to Our Neighborhood

Last night at 11:45 pm, our doorbell rang. We were in bed and I was already asleep. I had a hard time figuring out what was going on and then Andy said, “Doorbell” and then it rang again and cleared my head a little more. We went to the front door and saw a person there so Andy looked through the living room window while a flashlight shown in through the door (causing me to hide in the kitchen so that he wouldn’t be able to see me without me seeing him.) Andy could tell it was a police officer so I opened the door right after he bagged the doorbell idea and started banging his fist on the door.



He asked if we knew that a couple of hours prior our brand-new neighbors had a brick thrown through their back window. What?! We didn’t even know someone had moved in there yet. Apparently they did their final walkthrough at 8 pm and then came back after settlement at 10 pm to find a broken window and a brick in their house. What a horrible thing to find minutes after signing the papers to purchase your new home.



Last night was the most unsafe I’ve ever felt in my own home. This was a real threat, not a threat conjured up by my imagination. I don’t know how people stay in their homes after being burglarized. It was a terrible feeling last night and we weren’t even the people that were violated.



Now we can only hope that the person who did this will be found out and that our new neighbors will feel welcomed by the rest of us despite what happened in the first hours they owned their home here.

No comments: