Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Comments on Sappy Parent Feelings post

Because I'm cheap (and my bank account is shrinking at the speed of light), a friend of mine couldn't post his whole comment in my limited comments section so he emailed the following to me (I'm quoting with permission):



"Sappy?" Hmmmm... I'm not sure I like the term, but I certainly know personally the meaning behind it. I suppose I must be a full-bore, no-holds-barred sap, as a result of my fatherhood.



My favorite sentiment on the concept (and unfortunately I can't remember the source) is that "the birth of your child is like a sweet, blessed wound that never heals." I thought it was an odd statement, until the birth of P, and suddenly I found that part that prided myself on my ability to remain aloof and emotionally disconnected from perceived suffering cut away - leaving a gaping, ragged hole in my heart that now ached at every hint of suffering and fluttered with every hopeful moment. Where before I could turn away and remain unattached, I now see my children's faces on the suffering. Other's people's joyful moments also tickle at the scar that never heals and never hardens. I'm a better person for having God cut away that hardened tissue of my heart, and that's why the wound is truly a blessed one.



I just wish I could go back to the days when I didn't cry at the movies, dangit! ;-)



With (sappy) love and just of hint of a watery eye,



Keith



No comments: