Saturday, January 22, 2005

M. Night Shyamalan has got my number

Andy bought M. Night Shyamalan's The Village on DVD yesterday and we were very excited to see it again. Before reviewing it last night, my memory told me that it wasn't scary like Signs (which I LOVE) and it has an interesting plot line. I have suggested to many people who don't watch scary movies that they can watch this with no problem - "It's not scary, but it's suspenseful in a couple of scenes."



Then we watched it last night. I was wrong. Even knowing what was coming, knowing the plot line, knowing all sorts of things, I was scared. So scared that at one point I literally jumped off the couch screaming, knocking my box of crackers to the floor and landing in Andy's lap on the other couch. Yes, I'm a movie wimp and I know that I am, but that guy (Shyamalan) knows so totally well how to creep me out.



After the movie we came upstairs to go to bed and I couldn't walk down the hall without the lights on. Our hall is only about 15 feet long and the kitchen light was on at one end, but I couldn't even make it into the first room without running back to the light with the hair standing up on the back of my neck.



I think movies like this are so fun - it's a rush to be scared without being grossed out, which is the only way I used to think scary movies could be. Write, produce and direct on, Mr. Shyamalan.

No comments: