Wednesday, January 26, 2005

My Mother's Retirement Got Lost In The Hubbub

Earlier this year, I wrote a post about my father’s retirement. My mom retired this year also, but she never got a post! So here it is.



My mom has worked at a bank for many years - she started as a teller, moved to new accounts, eventually became a commercial loan officer, and then moved to a support position in the loan department. This summer, her bank was bought by another bank and her department moved to a location farther from their house. She was already considering retiring soon, but that was the icing on the cake for her to make her decision.



My mom stayed home full-time with us kids until we went to school. Once I (the youngest) started school, she went to work part-time during the day. She was always there to see us off in the morning and to welcome us home in the afternoon. When I got older, she started working full time. I thought she was crazy to give up working to stay home with us but look at me now! Ok, so I work part-time, but I can’t imagine working full-time and having kids, too.



My mom is one of those people who never lets anything get done halfway or incorrectly. She does her job and the job of anyone around her who isn’t pulling their weight. She learns her tasks as completely as possible and everyone that she has worked for wishes she would never move on to a new position or retire. When she left the bank, I know that there was a big gaping hole - mostly for her skills but also because she’s very nice and thinks of other people and I’m sure she helped the morale around her office.



We were supposed to have a surprise party to celebrate her retirement but our adoption of Kevin got in the way and after rescheduling once and still having to cancel, we never planned another. So here’s to Mom and her retirement - congratulations on a job well done and I’m so glad that you’re out of the rat race of working full time!

No comments: